The University of Tirana and with it the Faculty of History – Philology, were founded in 1957.
In 1992, German was opened as a separate branch at the Faculty of Foreign Languages (until then at the Faculty of History and Philology). The department initially consisted of two lecturers, the head of the department and the DAAD lecturer, who paved the way for the subsequent sending of other DAAD lecturers and a wider cooperation between the institutions.
Language practice courses were initially offered as a program, which began to change from 1996-1997. In this year, the students were divided into two directions: “Teacher”, the traditional direction, and “translation and interpretation”.